Teachers and parents often struggle to find the right tools to help students with spelling and/or reading difficulties. Dyslexia and dysgraphia are the most common reasons a person will struggle to spell. To help students with either learning disability, Silver Moon uses an Orton-Gillingham approach, an explicit, structured, cumulative, and multisensory technique, that builds a deep understanding of reading and spelling for our students.
Here are five benefits of Silver Moon, an Orton-Gillingham influenced program:
- Orton-Gillingham is perfect for individualized learning - Individualizing helps teachers dial into each student's different struggles and needs. Spelling trouble does not look the same for everyone, so analyzing a student's struggles on an individual level helps a teacher adjust their lessons accordingly to benefit the student. Each manual is loaded with, “Tips and Tricks” to help with individualizing. Instructor’s manuals also contain pre and posttests as well as practice pages to measure student growth.
- A multisensory approach - When neurons fire together they wire together. Silver Moon employs several simultaneously multisensory strategies. Students use visual, auditory and kinesthetic modalities to benefit learning and retention. Two examples of this are finger spelling and syllable tapping.
- Memory - Students with dyslexia often have difficulty retaining information long enough for it to be stored in long term memory. Silver Moon Spelling Rules Kits help. Our spelling rule cards are designed with brightly colored and engaging graphics that create memory triggers. Each rule’s name is a mnemonic. Definitions are clearly and concisely stated on the back of each card. The visual images are exciting for students to collect and talk about. Students also enjoy searching for hidden picture clues. This all supports memory systems.
- Skilled spellers become skilled readers - Orton-Gillingham programs like Silver Moon Spelling Rules understand that alphabetic principle, phonics, and phonemic awareness are all important. These skills are taught throughout. Students also build an understanding and awareness of syllables and syllable division rules. This, in turn, improves reading skills.
- Learning with the use of Orton-Gillingham tools - Students with dyslexia benefit from having the right tools and the right type of instruction. The Silver Moons Spelling Rules Kits include easy to use instructions for teachers, specialists, and parents to help students who are struggling due to underlying learning differences.
Dyslexia and other underlying learning difficulties can be hard to teach and, for students, hard to overcome. Orton-Gillingham is a method that allows students to get the level of individualized, explicit, and structured learning they need to succeed. Our experts at READ Learning continue to grow the Silver Moon Spelling Rules product line to help students, teachers, and parents succeed together. Check out our full product line here.